The seat of an ancient medieval seigneury in the 14th century, this castle became famous in 1755, thanks to Marshal Richelieu, Governor of Guyenne, who compared this wine to “the ambrosia of the Olympian gods” and introduced it to King Louis XV. Lafite wine became the “King’s wine” which was served at Versailles as the best wine.A few great vintages established its reputation in 1855 as a Grand Cru Ranked. In 1868 Baron James de Rothschild bought the castle. If the torments of war and disease (phylloxera and mildew) were painful trials for the survival of this property, in 1945 Baron Elie took up the challenge and started a new cycle with exceptional vintages. Baron Eric, his nephew, developed and modernised the vat equipment; he built a revolutionary cellar designed by the architect Ricardo Bofill, capable of accommodating 2,200 barrels, but also concerts, as Mr. Le Baron is a fervent supporter of the arts.